Monday, April 4, 2011

Ed Abbey and Legacy

Never thought I'd like Ed Abbey. 
My neighbor, an environmentalist, liked him but I had to survive at the time on the publicity of Abbey that made its way east.  
The publicity wasn't good. . . I never liked the "monkey wrenching" element of it.
I suspect he valued his freedom, however.
Freedom from officials that intruded on his space.
Freedom from the effects of our political system. That was probably tough to do as head ranger at Organ Pipe National Monument on the border with Mexico and his employer was the US Government.
He came to terms, however.
I'll have to, also... 
Come to terms with the fact that big guys with guns now patrol this area. That they have every reason to intrude on my small patch of the Southwest.  That they can demand I talk to them, smile and imply that if I don't do what they say I'll be shot.
My small patch is filled with images at sunset, places I'd like to wander at dawn, quiet places except for the hum of bees.  I'd like to imagine it doesn't include big-guys-with-guns.  





2 comments:

  1. It's a bitch when you can't get away from, nor ignore the fights. Here in Ohio we're re-listening to the old union songs and getting ready for the battles to come; giving up thoughts of heading to Arizona for some mental relaxation. If it ain't one thing it's another. I think I'll relax with some of my old Ed Abbey books ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I like those photos. Why don't I have them in the shop? :P Like what you said too. In my desert Eden there would only be people like you and Ellen and myself, who cherish its beauty. The buzz of the bees in the cigarette trees and the big rock candy mountain would be unblemished and undisturbed by the corruption of human activity. The trouble is that Eden is long gone, so we have to look at these photos and concentrate on their breathtaking soul- calming quality and not think of the big guys with guns. They are impossible to banish from thought completely, but we can always deliver them into the shadows while we admire that which radiates loveliness. Sue

    ReplyDelete